How does EMiLA work?

  • During the 1st semester of your master’s curriculum (7th semester ENSP) you study in your home institution: either AHK, ESAB, LUH, ESALA or ENSP. This is the institution where you will be enrolled for the whole of your EMiLA curriculum.
  • In your 2nd semester/ 1st year of the master’s curriculum (8th semester ENSP) you will be abroad in one of the partner schools/ universities. During this semester you will study the mandatory EMiLA eLearning module.
  • In August/ September you participate in a mandatory Summer School. Each year this Summer School is organised in one of the five partner countries.
  • The 3rd semester (1st semester of 2nd year Master, 9th semester ENSP) will be abroad in another partner school/ university.
  • The 4th semester (2nd semester of 2nd year Master, 10th semester ENSP) you will be back at your home institution.
  • Please go to “Study structure” to learn more.

Which language are the courses in?
You are taught in the language of the host country, although English skills and possibly another language (German, French or Castilian) will also be necessary. See “Languages” to find out more.

When should I apply?
This depends on which home institution you choose. Please contact the EMiLA coordinator of this institution, if possible during your last year of the Bachelor course. If it is too late for this, you should still contact the EMiLA coordinator of your home institution. Some open placements may still be left.

Which study level do I need to apply?
Each partner school has its own recruitment requirements and rules. Please read the Handbook (see “Programme documentation”) or contact the school/ university you intend to apply to.
In general, EMiLA is a master-level study course in landscape architecture, for which you need to hold a Bachelor degree in landscape architecture or a design study course at Bachelor level. In some partner schools (ENSP Versailles), you can be candidate with a bachelor in biology, geography or art before entering EMiLA. Please read the admission requirements of the different schools/ universities carefully, as they are binding for you.

How many students can study EMiLA each year?
25 students, which is about five students per partner school/ university. There may be slight differences between the schools/ universities or an increase of applicants in the near future.

Which partner schools/ university can I join during my EMiLA curriculum?
You choose one insitution as your home institution. You will visit two other schools/ universities of the network for one semester each. You may even visit a third school/ university during the Summer School. Please note that the semester schedules of the different schools/ universities differ a lot. This means that the order of exchanges is defined by the schedules as well. These are indicated in the Course handbook (see “Programme documentation”).

Which admission requirements, examination regulations etc. apply to me?
The regulations of your home insitution are always binding for you.

How will the grades be transferred from the exchange institutions to my home school/university?
All EMiLA partners use the standard ERASMUS forms. This means that you and the coordinator of your home institution work out a “Learning Agreement” before you leave. In this you define the courses you plan to study at the host institution/s. After your semester/s abroad, your host institution will document these grades in a “Transfer of Records”. This paper will be send back to your home institution or given to you directly. The grades from abroad will be documented in your national certificate/ diploma supplement. To see how the grades are converted, please consult the final pages of the Course handbook (see “Programme documentation”).

Which institution will I receive my degree from?
You will get your final degree at you home institution; at the school/ university where you first enrolled. You will be awarded your home insitution’s national degree in landscape architecture. Depending on your home institution, you will receive a specific EMiLA certificate/ diploma supplement (see “Degree and Certificate”).